Monday, October 28, 2013

Fear is a choice

     We watched the movie "After Earth" the other night. I really enjoy movies with Will Smith, but sci-fi movies aren't usually what I'd choose to watch. However, this movie was really good, and had an interesting quote about fear that really stuck out to me. Will Smith's character explained fear to his son like this:
       "Fear is not real. The only place that fear can exist is in our thoughts of the future. It is a product of our imagination, causing us to fear things that do not at present and may not ever exist. That is near insanity Kitai. Do not misunderstand me, danger is very real, but fear is a choice."
     I've NEVER thought of fear as a choice. I've thought of fear as an emotion, something that you may not completely have control of at all times. But, I did realize that you can control how you react to fear. The idea that fear in itself is a choice is very interesting. This quote made me think about things that I have not done because of fear. 
     I know that in the past I have not talked to someone about God because I was afraid of what they may think, or afraid I would say the wrong things. If fear is a choice, then I CHOSE to be afraid to share the gospel! Ouch.  I know that fear, whether a choice or not, is not from God. The Bible says in 2 Timothy 1:7, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."    
     Since watching the movie I've thought a lot about how I should be getting out of my comfort zone to let people know that Jesus loves them and that our church cares about them! I've thought about how I can choose to NOT be afraid to witness to a stranger. In any case, I want to do better about being a light for Christ in the community, and not choose to let fear deter me from sharing the gospel. 
     Have you made a choice to be fearful of something? Don't let fear keep you from being a Christ-like example at work, running errands, driving through rush-hour traffic, or interacting with your kids. Don't make a choice to let fear keep you from sharing God's plan of salvation with someone! You may be that person's only source of the good news that Christ died for them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment