Monday, August 19, 2013

Healthier No-Bake Cookies

     I've been craving chocolate like crazy this week! I'll admit that I made some not-so-healthy chocolate choices a couple days ago, or maybe today, whatever! So, I decided to try to make a chocolate dessert that was at least a little bit healthier so I wouldn't feel so guilty about fulfilling my cravings! 
     The recipe that I based these cookies off of can be found here. I didn't have sun-butter so I just used the peanut butter I had on hand which ended up being crunchy instead of the normal creamy peanut butter that no-bakes are usually made with. Other than that, I followed the recipe at Soliloquy of Food pretty much exactly. When you make these, please, oh please, use real vanilla extract! No imitations!!! YUCK! 
     These healthier cookies did not set up quite as well as traditional no-bake cookies, so just pop them in the refrigerator or freezer for a bit and they should be just perfect! Small price to pay for a healthier version I think. 


Healthier No-Bake Cookies

1/2 c. butter
1 c. honey
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
2 tsp. vanilla extract 
3 1/2 c. rolled oats

     In a saucepan, heat butter, honey, cocoa, and milk over medium heat. Stir occasionally and bring mixture to a boil. Boil for exactly 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and add the (real) vanilla and peanut butter. Stir until the peanut butter is dissolved into the chocolate mixture. Add oats and mix until the oats are coated with the chocolate-y goodness! Drop spoonfuls of the cookie mixture onto wax paper and let cool. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment